Friday, January 27, 2012

Cacti IO iostat monitoring - Fixing Invalid field error

I was setting up Cacti to include I/O stats monitoring (you know, those given by iostat command of sysstats linux package). The guys at http://www.markround.com/archives/48-Linux,-Solaris-and-FreeBSD-iostat-monitoring-with-Cacti.html made a really nice job of creating the required scripts and Cacti templates, so I was hoping I'd just install them and use the results. I thought that it was so easy...

For some reason, using their Cacti templates under RedHat EL 5.7with Cacti 0.8.7i gave the following error, when running the query from inside Cacti in debug mode:

Invalid field ioDescr:ioName:ioIndex

Some Googling around took me back to Markround.com, where one of the user comments was about the same issue. The solution turned out to be editing the iostat.xml, looking for that ... line and removing the ioName portion of it. That is:

ioDescr:ioIndex

That solved the issue.

No comments: